Friday, April 2, 2010

See You In The Morning

As one of my good friends put it... "Morning sickness has nothing to do with mornings."

Bingo.

Unless morning time constitutes every second between midnight one day and midnight the next.

But we know it doesn't.

How do you combat morning sickness? Well, people say if you keep crackers next to your bed in the morning... eat some and drink some water before you get up you'll be fine. Does it work? I don't know. I wasn't much for crackers when I was pregnant. Water either come to think of it. Although I could do away with a gallon of whole milk fairly quickly.

Anyways.

I also heard that sour candy helps. You know... those Preggy Pops that you can find in the Motherhood maternity stores are supposed to do wonders. So I bought them. They seemed to help. But I quickly ran out of them and wouldn't you know it? I had gotten the last bag of pops from the store. No one knew when they were due to get more. Crap.

So I'm thinking.... I like sour skittles. If sour Preggy Pops work... Sour Skittles would too right? Right?!? Not that I'm aware of. I did develop a craving for them. But I'm not quite sure if they helped with my morning sickness or not. I do know that I ate too many of them though.

How do I know this?

The sour salt that they put on them burned off the top layer of my tongue. Yep. My tongue started bleeding. I had to quit them cold turkey. Oops.

Honestly, I don't know if all of the "remedies" you hear about work. I really don't. I do know that you should get lots of fresh air (certain smells can cause nausea). Don't go too long without eating (hey, being too hungry can make ANYONE feel sick). Have a doc check to make sure you're not anemic. Low iron can cause you to feel dizzy, lightheaded, AND nauseous. Keep your blood sugar up. If it's been a while since you ate last, but you're not necessarily hungry, suck on a piece of hard candy. Maybe a few sips of a sugary drink. Remember protien. Peanut butter, or even the thought of it sometimes made me nauseous. Eat almonds (salt and vinegar almonds by Blue Diamond are particularly tasty) if you can't stand peanuts or peanut butter.

If something makes you nauseous? Stay away from it. If you find something else that works for you and makes the nausea go away? Awesome! Keep a food diary if you have to. Document the times when you eat, the times you feel like you're going to wretch, the times you have something to drink, what you're doing, etc. It will help. It'll make patterns apparent. If none of this works for you, then I sincerely apologize and you just have to remember... This Too Shall Pass.

Heck, it can't last more than 9 months can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment