Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Not Everything's A Work Of Art

I read a countless amount of blogs and journals of women who craft and scrapbook etc. It's great. It really is. I wish I had to creativity to turn burlap sacks in to cute table runners, and create banners out of tissue paper. Sometimes I wish I was the mom who had plastic bins full of decorations for every season and occasion one can think of. Actually... for a long time that was what I wished. Not just sometimes.

I wished that I could decorate my house in greens and blues and yellows for spring. Jewel tones with cute little knick knacks for fall. And I wished that during Christmas time it looked like my tree threw up all over the rest of the abode as well.

Decorating. Being crafty. Being creative. It was exciting to me.

I have since learned that my aptitude in decorating, save putting pictures of my kids on the wall and painting the every-once-in-a-while mural of cartoon characters for someone, is nil. I can't sew. Not much. I did manage to create a rather nifty scarf once for someone that was then used to pull my daughters sled up a hill and then stuffed in a closet. So that nixed THAT idea. I like to scrapbook, but I've lost the time I used to have to do it (and on number 2 it actually started looking like I knew what I was doing!). I can't build things that don't already come with directions. I don't antique things. I don't decoupage things. I don't create pretty flower arrangements.

It's not me. So I'll say what I said about being mature. Being an adult doesn't mean you have to be. Likewise, being a mom doesn't mean that you have to be crafty. I thought there was like some... sparkley mom gene missing from my DNA. But of course, there isn't. I'm just not wired to decorate.

It's ok if you're not either. I know being a mom (at least I thought this way, you may not) you might think that you have to fit in to some homemaker mold. Or some super working mom mode. And you don't. If you can't paint flowers on the wall without a stencil taped up first, it's fine. If the only thing you can draw are cartoon characters, and only when you're looking at them, it's fine. If the extent of your antiqueing is actually buying from an antique store... IT'S FINE.

There isn't a rule that states you have to be a certain way. Would I like to be more creative like all of the women in the blogs that I read. ABSOLUTELY. But if I'm not? It doesn't matter. My kids decorate my walls just fine with crayons, I don't need to worry about painting them certain colors. Or finding the perfect pring to frame and hang. I give mad kudos to the women who can keep an eye on their kids AND make their houses look immaculate and like they've shot off the page in a magazine. My kids wouldn't sit long enough to color the entire page in a coloring book, so I don't know how you do it. Maybe when they're older my creative gene will come out of hiding and show itself. But for now it seems to be scared.

And that's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment