Friday, May 14, 2010

Come Out Wishing Star

Ok, I am back. I know you all were waiting on the edge of your seats for the continuation of my bed time story entry.

I'm totally kidding.

There's A Monster at the End of This Book - by Jon Stone. It's incredibly cute. And it makes my youngest laugh from cover to cover. Poor Grover is so scared because he heard that there's a monster at the end of the book. And he "yells" at you ever time you turn the page because every time you turn the page you're bringing him CLOSER to the MONSTER.

The Velveteen Rabbit - by Margery Williams. I think we've all at least heard of this one. The little Velveteen Rabbit doesn't get much play time for a while. So he sits in the nursery talking to the rocking horse about what it means to be Real. Then the little boy he was given to loses the toy he usually sleeps with so his nanny runs into the nursery and grabs the Velveteen Rabbit. The little bunny learns that sometimes being loved can be painful. Sometimes it rubs your fur off and leaves you worn and ragged. And that sometimes you have to let go of the ones that you love.

There is also a series called The Land of Pleasant Dreams. Again, one of my favorites to listen to/read when I was a child. All the types of book with a "the moral of the story is..." type of ending, although I guess that can be said for most childrens' stories. I don't know the specific author, because from what I can see there were several. But they were absolutely adorable. With titles like Bear-ly There At All which was about a little bear who (if I remember correctly) wanted to be bigger, so he/she put on this humungous heavy coat that ended up shrinking him/her, or Is It Soup Yet: Too Many Cooks Spoil The Broth.

Last but not least... there are the good old standins like Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes. Or anything by Hans Christian Andersen. Or the Brothers Grimm. A lot of the Little Golden Books too.

Anyways, just wanted to help out if you were tired of reading the same old thing to your kids every night at bed time. If you're looking for anything for yourself to read, I'll be posting my own reading list later. Much longer, but without all the explanations so it doesn't take so long to get through them. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment